Facebook Twitter Google+ Instagram LinkedIn Pinterest Tumblr FB Twitter
  • Home  /
  • Employment in UK

Employment in UK

Working policy for international students

Before you look for a job in the UK, you’ll need to check that your passport stamp or visa sticker allows you to work. In this way we strongly recommend you to check the specific requirements according to your nationality in the UK Border Agency.

Work while Study

If your application for leave to stay in the UK as a student has been successful, you should be given a passport sticker that allows you to work part-time up to 20 hours a week during term time and work full-time during your holidays.

Working after your studies

If you are an international student who would like to work in the UK after you have completed your degree, the main visa option provided by the UK government is Tier 1 (Post Study Work). This visa gives you two years to work in the UK for any employer or to set up in business on your own and you can apply even if you don’t yet have an employer offering you a job. This presentation will look at the requirements for Tier 1 (PSW) and how to get ready for your application. Although Tier 1 (PSW) is the scheme that applies to most students, there are other immigration routes to working in the UK.

Tier 1 (Post Study Work)

Several changes to the eligibility rules for those applying for Post Study Work come into effect on 31st March 2009. This scheme is to enable students from outside the EEA who have successfully completed their qualification (undergraduate degree, Masters, DPhil, Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)) to apply to remain in the UK to seek and take employment. Successful applicants will be granted a maximum of two years’ immigration permission.