- Home /
- Visa Process New Zealand
Visa Process New Zealand
The New Zealand Immigration Service (NZIS) is the government authority responsible for issuing visas and permits to enter New Zealand.
If you are outside New Zealand and planning to study full time for more than three months, you will need a student visa and a student permit, unless you are from a country that has a special agreement with New Zealand . (European countries, USA , Australia etc.).
The first step while applying for student visas to NZ would be to get the application approved by NZIS in advance. To apply for the approval, you need to do the following:
Application requirements :
To get a student visa and permit, you have to be enrolled in an approved course at an institution that has been accredited to offer that course.
Your application will require :
• A recent passport-size photograph.
• Payment of a non-refundable application fee. (A demand draft drawn in favour of ‘New Zealand Immigration Services’ payable at New Delhi )
• An ‘Offer of Place’ from an educational institution which states that you have been accepted by the institution, the name of the course, the minimum time required to complete the course, and whether a course fee must be paid or the student is exempt from the fee (e.g. scholarship students). The New Zealand institution that confirms your enrolment will send this ‘Offer of Place’ to you.
• A written guarantee from a New Zealand education institution or person that suitable accommodation is available to you in New Zealand.
• Evidence of sufficient funds to live on while you are studying.
• A return air ticket to your country, or evidence of sufficient funds to buy one.
• You’ll also have to provide medical and x-ray certificates that are less than three months old (for students intending to be in New Zealand over 9 months, screening for Tuberculosis is compulsory.). This medical certificate should be issued by a doctor approved by NZIS.
• If you are over 17, a police certificate to show that you are of good character.
Once the application has been approved by NZIS, you will receive a written confirmation of the same within a month. The student is then required to pay one-year’s tuition fees to the university or institution the students wishes to study at. NZIS issues the final visa upon submission of the receipt of payment of fees and the original and valid passport .